Safe House Volunteer (Male Survivors)
The West Midlands Anti-Slavery Network (WMASN) CIC connects the various agencies involved in tackling modern-day slavery in the West Midlands and beyond. We aim to develop an effective regional multi-agency anti-slavery network to raise awareness, reduce the threat and harm of slavery and rescue and support survivors of slavery in the West Midlands geographical area. Developing strategic partnerships and collaborations with other regional, national and international organisations to tackle modern-day slavery, including networks, partnerships, agencies and learning establishments is key to the Network achieving its aim.
We are recruiting passionate volunteers for our Big Lottery Funded Place of Safety Project working with male survivors of modern slavery and human trafficking post-exploitation.
The role will involve providing emotional and practical support to encourage feelings of safety and trust to enable a smooth transition into appropriate support.
The Place of Safety project is 3-5 days of emergency support, post-exploitation, to meet the emergency medical needs of survivors and allow time for specialist advice and information about their rights and entitlements to support.
We are looking for volunteers who can support by:
- Committing to a regular evening or weekend shift every week
- Committing to a regular evening or weekend shift every 2 weeks
- Being listed on our database of bank volunteers who can be contacted to assist as and when needed – e.g. assist a survivor to attend a medical appointment, assist with house maintenance, or be additional support at the house when needed
- Being involved in one-off opportunities such as funding or sourcing furniture for the safe house.
Due to the nature of this work, all volunteers who will be working with survivors will require an enhanced DBS and sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Complete an application form
- Informal interview to discuss the application
- References and DBS check
- Structured training throughout the year (set times of the year, the first set of training will be running in August)
Induction and discussion about the availability
Please contact Amber Cagney for an application form and more information: